As of 2022, TikTok is the #1 most downloaded app in over 40 countries! The platform has seen explosive growth in recent years, now having 700 million monthly active users across the globe. Since our worlds have shifted online, the consumption of virtual content is breaking records like never before. In 2022, creating buzz around your brand on TikTok is a smart marketing move to grow, get noticed, and drive sales.
Are you a marketer, entrepreneur, business owner, or freelance creator?
Then don’t miss out on TikTok marketing! The social media giant offers a major opportunity for brands to get creative and make a splash.
In this guide, we’ll explore marketing on TikTok in-depth, from hashtags to TikTok ad products to influencer marketing. Let’s begin!
Table of contents
- TikTok Marketing: 3 Steps to Getting Started
- 9 TikTok Marketing Tips for Viral Video Content in 2022 [+ FREE Tool!]
- 1. Stay Relevant: Participate in Trending Challenges
- 2. Hack TikTok SEO: Best Practices
- 3. TikTok Influencer Marketing: Partner with Creators
- 4. Browse Simplified’s Templates for TikTok Inspiration
- 5. TikTok Content Strategy: User-Generated Content
- 6. Publish Attractive Videos
- 7. Consistency is Key
- 8. TikTok Advertising: 5 TikTok Ad Products
- 9. Check your Brand’s Analytics
- Next Steps
TikTok Marketing: 3 Steps to Getting Started
1. Set up a Professional Account
If you want to make money on TikTok, you need to have a professional account. A professional account is also great for monitoring your brand’s performance on the platform.
Furthermore, signing up as a seller on TikTok Shop streamlines your branding and sales all in one place!
2. Optimize TikTok Video Lengths
Every video-sharing platform, including TikTok, has different length suggestions for optimized video content.
The optimal video length of a TikTok video is 15 seconds. For longer videos, you can record a video in four 15 second chunks for a total of 60 seconds. This way, you have four videos of the optimal length that make up one complete video!
However, if you need a longer, seamless video, you can also record one for 60 seconds straight! As long as you keep the video length to 60 seconds or less, your content will be more discoverable.
Furthermore, here’s how you can get the right video length for your TikTok marketing for free with Simplified:
On Simplified, you can trim the duration of videos, add audio, overlay images, and so much more!
If you’re looking for an all-in-one video editing platform, you’ve found it!
3. TikTok Marketing Strategy: Observe What Works
New to TikTok? Bear in mind the content and style of the content found on TikTok is different than on other social media channels. If you simply observe for a few weeks, you’ll get a feel of how it all works. Then, once you feel like you’re well-versed in the TikTok culture, it’s time to use TikTok as a marketing channel.
For your first posts, try to mimic your favorite content that aligns with your brand’s point of view. Then, see how your engagements fared. Did you get the about of likes and followers you were looking for? If not, try a different style of video until you inch closer to your goal. And remember: the more you observe and become a participant in the platform, the more you’ll know what works!
For new users, TikTok might seem overwhelming with billions of videos and millions of brands. Therefore, if you don’t know where or how to start, head over to the Discover page for inspiration!
The Discover page on TikTok is easily accessible by clicking on the search icon, as shown below:
9 TikTok Marketing Tips for Viral Video Content in 2022 [+ FREE Tool!]
Whether you’re a beginner on TikTok or already a maestro, it never hurts to refresh, or even rethink, your content strategy.
Below, you’ll discover how to optimize SEO for TikTok, influencer marketing, and the best ways to get started with Simplified’s free AI and design tools. With our 9 TikTok marketing tips and tricks, get ready to make the leap into the world of viral video content!
1. Stay Relevant: Participate in Trending Challenges
Following TikTok trends is a smart marketing move because they give you ideas for fresh and engaging content. They change every week, and sometimes, even daily! Therefore, it’s important to stay up to speed with what interests your audience.
Why should I participate in TikTok challenges?
- Since the challenges on TikTok are clustered by hashtags, they improve brand discoverability. If you want your brand to reach a wider audience, show them that you’re interested in what they’re watching!
- To drive sales, you need to come up with a unique way to showcase whatever you’re selling, whether it’s a product or service, within the challenge.
How do I participate?
- Find out what kind of content is performing well on the app, and try your hand at it. As mentioned above, the best way to find out what’s hot on TikTok is in the Discover section.
- Search for brands that align with your content and interact with them. For example, The Tonight Show host, Jimmy Fallon, expands his personal brand by tapping into trending challenges! By promoting his brand on TikTok, he’s reaching a younger demographic who doesn’t typically watch late night talk shows.
2. Hack TikTok SEO: Best Practices
Hashtags are important for SEO on most social media platforms, including TikTok. However, there are other TikTok hacks that will help your brand increase followers and potentially drive more sales.
Below, let’s look at some important SEO hacks for marketing on TikTok:
- What are the best times to post on TikTok for increased brand visibility? According to the TikTok experts, prime time to post on TikTok for maximum views is between 10 AM to 6 PM. This is because your online audience is browsing TikTok in between lunch breaks and intermittently during work, too! Furthermore, 7 PM to 11 PM is a good window to get eyeballs since most people tend to unwind after work by scrolling through social media. You’ll gain more traction on a post between these times because, with the larger audience pool, you’ll attract more viewers. Therefore, if someone types in a search term related to your post they’re more likely to see it on their feed! Nonetheless, you should try posting at different times of day to see what works best for your audience.
- How long is a video caption on TikTok? TikTok allows for 100 characters per video post including hashtags. You have a limited content window to make your video clickable! With Simplified’s advanced AI, you can generate high-converting video descriptions in seconds!
- How many hashtags can I use for one post? While there is no limit to the number of hashtags you can use per video, it’s best to focus on roughly two to three hashtags per post. Moreover, limiting hashtags gives you more space to write accurate video descriptions, which helps with SEO. For instance, strong descriptions lead to increases in the click-through-rate on your posts! Wondering how and why hashtags for business optimize SEO? Learn how you can generate them for free with Simplified’s AI Hashtag Generator!
3. TikTok Influencer Marketing: Partner with Creators
According to Forbes, digital skills will be the most in-demand skills in 2022. Among these are the skills of persuasion and influence on social media.
Who better to sway us into buying products and following brands than influencers?
If you’re struggling to grow your following on TikTok, consider partnering with relevant creators. For instance, if you are in the digital marketing niche, create videos with other digital marketers that have more followers.
Here’s how you can approach creators to partner with you to create TikTok marketing content:
- When you come across a relevant creator, send them a brief and friendly message to let them know you’re interested. A simple “Hi, I like your content” goes a long way!
- Not sure what to write? Don’t worry, we got you! Try out Simplified’s Short Form AI Writer to craft the perfect message template.
- Once you’ve sent the message, wait for a couple of days before sending out feelers to other contacts on the platform. And always make sure to follow up!
4. Browse Simplified’s Templates for TikTok Inspiration
Let’s say you have all the sales copy you need and stunning videos to boot. Now, how do you go about compiling all this content into one video post?
One of the simplest TikTok e-Commerce tips is to find an online drawing board. When you have a creative block, a digital platform where you can collect all of your ideas is super helpful
Here, Simplified’s templates are a great starting point for beginners, as well as teams short on time!
An all-one-one AI and design platform, Simplified offers a rich library of templates for your brand to succeed on TikTok!
5. TikTok Content Strategy: User-Generated Content
Who doesn’t love great deals and exclusive offers?
TikTok is a fun platform to browse, especially if you’re getting user-generated content (UGC) for your brand!
In a nutshell, by providing an incentive or reward, you can encourage users to create content and participate in branded campaigns.
To get started with UGC, answer the following questions:
- What does your company do best?
- Which values does your brand add to your audience’s lives?
- What promotions and deals are you willing to offer for increased brand awareness? For instance, Spotify has partnered with TikTok to offer their premium services to new customers for 4 months. All they have do is follow Spotify on TikTok and spread the word!
If you’re not sure where to start, take Simplified’s AI copywriting tools for a quick spin!
- Product Description Generator: Simplified’s free copy AI writes keyword-centric and SEO-focused product descriptions that attract customers and increase sales.
- Company Bio Generator: Your company’s mission statement needs to effectively communicate who you are and what you stand for. Therefore, a solid company bio is one of the most important pieces of sales copy for you brand!
- Persuasive Bullet Points Generator: Simplified’s AI copywriting tool can help you come up with impactful persuasive bullet points that share your strengths.
For example, INTO ACTION is a popular collective of designers and creators that publishes stunning content centered on world issues. Their latest UGC campaign encourages TikTok scrollers to register to vote.
Isn’t it simple and effective all at once? We certainly think so!
The rewards of a customer-centric marketing approach are aplenty, especially if you’re looking to boost brand awareness on TikTok!
6. Publish Attractive Videos
If you want your content to be a class apart, a crucial element is making sure your video content is always high-res and visually captivating.
You might want to consider hiring a professional videographer when you start posting. Especially as a new account, you want to ensure quality. However, if you don’t have the financial bandwidth to afford one, Simplified’s AI and design software is your new best friend!
When in doubt, look at how some of the hottest brands are crushing their TikTok marketing strategies. Take a cue from Gymshark – their videos are always high-res, on-brand, and so very clickable.
The best TikTok marketing campaigns are memorable, interactive, and visually stunning!
@gymshark Gravity doesn’t apply to @adotty10 🤯💪 #Gymshark #GymTok #Training #Fyp ♬ original sound – Gymshark
7. Consistency is Key
Before you invest in a TikTok content strategy, remember that your audience is bombarded with an overwhelming amount of virtual content daily.
So, how do you stay fresh in your audience’s mind?
The easiest trick is to deliver content that is on-brand, consistently.
That means uploading videos daily to promote your brand on TikTok.
Be consistent and upload at least twice a week. Once you have a solid number of followers (which is dependent on the goal you set for yourself), you can increase the amount of uploads to every other day. The more you post, the higher the reach of your brand on the platform.
Looking for TikTok engagement ideas? Check out Netflix’s TikTok feed below, which highlights its most trending TV shows and movies!
Whether you’re a small business owner or a freelance creator, we know how exhausting brainstorming content engagements ideas and publishing on social media can be. That’s why Simplified offers you the ease of automated publishing with an AI-powered social content planner.
We’re with you all the way, from brainstorming video content ideas to sharing on social media!
8. TikTok Advertising: 5 TikTok Ad Products
A successful TikTok content strategy requires you to research your advertisement options.
All brands have differing targets. Therefore, according to your unique goals, you must make an informed decision about which kind of TikTok ads will help fulfill your brand’s mission.
To get started, first, you’ll have to create an advertiser account, which is as easy as filling out a form!
Whether it’s increasing followers or driving traffic to your website, there are 5 TikTok ad products available that will help you reach your goal. Let’s take a quick look below at what purpose they each serve (with examples!):
- In-Feed ads: In-Feed ads are TikTok’s standard ad format, which auto-plays on users’ ‘For You’ page. These are similar to Instagram stories. Best for: Allowing users to interact with the ad, such as liking, commenting, sharing and following.
Brand Example: Adobe
- Branded Hashtag Challenges: These ads are a new format developed for TikTok that allow brands to tap into their audience’s creativity. Best for: Fitting in with TikTok’s user-generated content aesthetic.
Brand Example: House Party
- Top-View ads: Top-View ads are the first ad that users see when they open TikTok. These ads allow you to create videos up to 60-seconds long, giving a more focused and immersive experience. Best for: Increasing brand awareness as these ads have a wide reach and high number of impressions.
Brand Example: Balenciaga
- Branded Effects: Branded effects encourage brands to embrace their playful side by creating shareable branded stickers, filters, and effects. These effects can act as standalone campaigns or be integrated into your Branded Hashtag Challenge. Best for: Immersive and engaging experiences, leading to higher levels of engagement.
Brand Example: Colgate
- Brand Takeovers: Brand Takeovers are full-screen static or dynamic displays, similar to YouTube’s non-skippable ads or bumper ads. Best for: Directing traffic to external landing pages.
Brand Example: Guess
9. Check your Brand’s Analytics
Since every brand’s mission is created and marketed differently, the brand analytics that are most important to you will differ, too. Luckily, TikTok’s suite of analytics reports has all the information you need to prove you campaign’s success!
How to check TikTok Analytics:
- Tap on ‘Account’ from your profile’s dashboard.
- Click on Privacy and Settings.
- Scroll down and select “Analytics”.
You need to check your brand’s analytics section to assess the following statistics:
- How many followers have you gained or lost in the past week or month.
- How many people have viewed your content.
- Which videos on your feed are the highest performing.
Checking the Analytics section also answers the following questions:
- Where your audience is located.
- When your audience is awake/most active.
You must routinely check your brand’s insights on TikTok to know where your content is hitting the mark, and where it’s falling flat. Moreover, analytics come in handy to rethink or revise your TikTok content strategy.
🔥 TIP: You can also download the analytics data for personal use directly from your dashboard! We recommend doing this on your desktop.
We’ve come to the end of this comprehensive guide on TikTok marketing 101. Whether you’re a small business owner, digital marketer, or content creator, there’s something for everyone on Simplified!
This isn’t goodbye just yet! Consider storing all of your brand’s elements in a brand kit on Simplified, especially for TikTok. This way, you and your team can work together to streamline your brand’s messaging without any hiccups.
Finally, if you’re tired of switching tabs and want all the TikTok marketing tools at your fingertips, bookmark this page for future reference!
You never have to miss a beat or compromise your brand’s content with Simplified.
One App For Modern Teams
One Free app to design, collaborate, and scale your work – try Simplified today.