In 2021, TikTok is reported as having over 1 billion monthly active users. So, it’s the perfect platform on which to promote your brand or business to a wider audience. But with such a large potential audience, you’ll need to be vigilant. You must edit your TikTok content before posting to make sure that it communicates the right message. However, sometimes things do slip through the cracks. If that’s the case, is it possible to edit TikTok videos after they have been posted? Unfortunately, it’s not always easy to do this once they’ve been published. And that can be a major blow if you realize later that you’ve made a blunder.
Don’t worry, though! This post is going to discuss the ways in which you can edit TikTok videos and captions after you’ve posted them. We’ll also talk you through some things you can do to avoid bloopers.
So, let’s get started!
Can you edit a TikTok after posting?
Let’s make it clear that you cannot fully edit TikTok videos after posting. However, you can easily edit the TikTok captions and a few minor features by the methods described below.
Don’t be rash and delete an uploaded video the second you spot a typo or error. Find out how you can re-upload a video with an updated TikTok caption below. We will let you know when it’s the right moment to “delete”.
Method 1: Save your video and then re-upload it
This is the simplest way to edit TikTok captions after a video has been posted. Follow the steps below to make some small edits to your videos and change TikTok captions without any hassle.
- Head to your profile by clicking on the “Me” icon in the bottom left corner.
- Select the video you want to edit.
- Go to the side menu to find a triple-dotted icon. You will get several options to share and save the video
- Choose “Save video”. Now your uploaded video is saved in your gallery with all the effects, music, and filters that you have used.
- Once you have saved your TikTok video, you can delete the uploaded video before more people can see it.
- Click on the Plus icon and choose your saved reel. Now you can make a few simple edits and re-upload your reel.
Just bear in mind that your re-uploaded video will feature a small TikTok watermark along with your name. This is quite noticeable, but it should not hamper the viewing experience. Most importantly, this method allows you to edit your TikTok captions before you repost your videos.
Check out how to use Simplified’s AI Sentence Rewriter to edit your captions and make them attention-grabbing.
Method 2: Remake your entire video to make extensive changes
If you have to make major edits, like changing the music or the effects, you cannot do that by saving and re-uploading the video. You will have to remake the entire TikTok video again. Follow the steps below to find out how.
- Delete your first attempt before more people see it.
- Go to the Plus icon on TikTok. Find the unedited video in your gallery and add it.
- Add all your effects, including the new ones you were missing before. You can choose from all the stickers, sounds, music, texts, and other effects.
- Post your replacement video only after making sure that all your edits are in place.
Remaking your entire TikTok video may seem like a hassle but it’s a worthwhile step if you have some important edits to make in your video.
Marketing through TikTok can be easy with fun and engaging content, but you must also have a strategic TikTok branding toolkit. Check out TikTok templates by Simplified to help get your brand noticed using rich graphics and amazing copywriting.
Method 3: Edit TikTok Easily with Saved Drafts
Here’s a tip that will help you edit TikTok videos before you post them. It’s pretty simple! All you have to do is save the edits to your drafts during the first editing attempt. This way, you can play around with different effects before settling on the final version that you want to upload.
This can be an efficient hack to avoid any errors or typos in your TikTok captions before posting. Follow the steps below to find out how to edit your saved drafts.
- Go to the “Me” icon again.
- Open “Drafts” to find all your saved videos. Select the video that you want to edit.
- Add your finalized TikTok caption and upload. Alternatively, you can tap the back arrow at the top to keep editing your video.
- Upload it once you are satisfied with your edits.
Saved drafts can be seen only by the user. If you are someone who likes to plan and prepare before uploading, you might want to upload these drafts a few days before they’re due to post. This will give you plenty of time to make any changes and finally upload a TikTok video you are happy with.
Planning and strategizing is super-important for TikTok branding. You must research all the top trends and upload content that is relevant to your target audience. Discover more about brand awareness and the top secrets your competitors won’t share with Simplified.
Method 4: Change your Privacy Settings for the Video
If you want to post your video but you aren’t sure if you want everyone to see it yet, there’s a way to keep it hidden from view. Change the privacy settings on it from ‘Public’ to ‘Only me’. This way, only you will be able to see your video. Then, you can keep editing it before you finally decide to post it.
Follow these five simple steps to change the privacy settings on your TikTok video:
- Go to the “Me” icon. Find the video that you want to edit.
- The video will open up on the screen. Go to the three horizontal dots icon.
- A set of options will appear, including “Privacy settings”.
- Now you can choose “Who can watch this video”. Change it from “Everyone” to “Only me”.
- Switch it back whenever you are ready to show your video to the world.
Keeping your video private for a while can be a smart step if you think you might want to add more effects in the future. You can come back to it whenever you want. And having your video posted privately in your feed reduces the risk of you forgetting about it.
Related: How To Promote Your Brand On TikTok.
Keep TikToking without worries!
“To err is human”, or so the saying goes. Using the simple hacks and tips given above, you can easily edit your TikTok videos and captions without any stress.
TikTok is a great platform for marketing your brand and leveraging it will be crucial to growing your business over the coming years. Learn more about why video marketing is the future of content marketing.
Simplified offers you some excellent tools and resources that you can use to take your TikTok marketing strategy to the next level.
Create videos and content that resonates with your audience. With Simplified’s smart AI copywriter and trending templates, you can grab the attention of your viewers and keep them hooked. Get started with our free TikTok templates designed for every occasion.
To hit the right note, you also need to post content that helps them solve their problems. Simplified can help you by adding fun elements that will make your TikTok video relatable and engaging. Sign up today to start to editing TikTok videos like a pro and get ready to go viral!